Dr. Harper has consulted with more than 200 businesses and institutions on strategies related to equity, diversity, and inclusion. He has published over 100 peer-reviewed journal articles and other academic publications, and procured $13 million in research grants. He is presently working on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Business, his 13th book. His research has been cited in over 12,000 published studies. The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Fortune, Washington Post, Black Enterprise, and several thousand other news outlets have quoted Professor Harper and featured his research. He has been interviewed on CNN, ESPN, and NPR.
Prior to becoming a faculty member, he was Assistant Director of MBA Admissions for the Indiana University Kelley School of Business. Dr. Harper spent a decade at the University of Pennsylvania, where he was a tenured full professor.
- Engaging in Productive Conversations About Race
Most employees deliberately avoid engaging in conversations with their colleagues about racial issues in society and in the workplace. University of Southern California Marshall School of Business Professor Shaun Harper, founder and executive director of the USC Race and Equity Center, will help attendees more deeply understand what many Americans and others across the globe were protesting throughout the month of June 2020. He will also explain the consequences of avoidance and the benefits of making race salient in workplace conversations, policies, and practices. Dr. Harper will conclude with several practical strategies and creative activities that can be used to make conversations about race less uncomfortable, more productive, and ultimately useful to the company and its employees. He will share tips for minimizing the risk of race-focused conversations becoming explosive and harmful.
- Customized topics on Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
• Addressing Homophobia and Heterosexism
• Advancing Women to Senior Leadership Roles
• Communicating Commitment to EDI
• Eliminating Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
• Evolving with Client/Customer Demographics
• Facilitating Diﬃcult Conversations about EDI
• Hiring and Strategically Diversifying the Workplace
• Making Workplace Environments Trans Inclusive
• Managing Intergenerational Tensions
• Meeting the Needs of Employees with Disabilities
• Navigating Partisanship Diversity and Political Polarization
• Recognizing and Reducing Implicit Bias
• Recovering from Diversity-Related Crises
• Resolving Racial Tensions at Work
• Retaining and Advancing Employees of Color
• Supporting Employee Networks/Resource Groups
-Program Director, The University System of Georgia
“As expected, Dr. Harper was fantastic! He was insightful and funny. We’ve had nothing but rave reviews from attendees.”
-Division of Equity, Inclusion & Community Impact, University of Cincinnati